Thursday, August 21, 2008

Translations / Transitions

I am looking forward to an Artist's Reception tomorrow at Zephyr Gallery. Deborah Thomas is one of my favorite local artists, the image is one of her pieces that I happen to own. Granted its probably the smallest size she actually sells, but it's one of my favorite things.

I learned about her through the first LVAA Art Auction I worked. The colors were so strong and vibrant and the lines were so passionate, the work was undeniable. I was immediately drawn to her as an artist. Her work could be classified as abstract landscapes. At that point her work had this very interesting box within the paintings, which I later found out was a representation of a photograph. The box was placed as if the photograph was being held up to the actual landscape which continued beyond the paper. I was initially drawn to that box. To me, it was an expression of emotion that cannot be contained.

Alas, her newer work has lost the box, which she feels is liberating. Good for her. Her palate has also mellowed and has gotten deeper. Her passion is still expressed through her brush work and I cannot wait to see what she's been up to lately.

If you go - The Zepher gallery is located at 610 East Market Street and is open Wednesdays through Saturdays from 11:00am to 6:00pm

Deborah Thomas and Mitch Eckert exhibit will be up from August 22nd - September 27th.



The First Friday gallery hop will be on September 5.

No comments: